Transition of Power Tool Optimization (2019-476-004)
Elzly Technology, Fincantieri Marine Systems North America, Newport News Shipbuilding
December 2022 – September 2023
NSRP INVESTMENT: $140K
The goals and objectives of this project are as follows:
- Implement better practices for power tool usage to decrease time and cost of maintenance work.
- Distribute novel combinations of tools to achieve various levels of cleanliness in varying circumstances
- Instruct shipyard personnel and demonstrate areas during ship maintenance where multiple tools can be more productive
- Transition data, guidance, and techniques learned in “Optimization of Power Tool Surface Preparation” to shipyard for implementation
The NSRP project “Optimization of Power Tool Surface Preparation” recently completed an investigation into the performance of various power tools to ascertain the overall performance of each technology as it relates to time and cost necessary to achieve various levels of cleanliness. In addition to laboratory testing, a field investigation was performed during this study to observe where and how power tools are used in the ship building process. From findings in the laboratory study and the field investigation, the final report provided quantitative data showing that multiple tools are needed to achieve desired levels of cleanliness in a timely and cost-effective manner. The proposed plan will take lessons learned during the previous project and transition guidance on various methods of power tool usage to provide proper surface preparation, cost-effective performance, and overall better-quality during ship maintenance periods.
KEY DELIVERABLES / BENEFITS
- Briefing to the Surface Preparation and Coating Panel at Panel Meetings
- Distribute Visual Aids and Guidance
- Summary of Feedback from Shipyard Personnel after demonstrations
- Final Report with final power tool training document
POINT OF CONTACT: Eric Shoyer | Elzly Technology | [email protected]