SMART: Shipyard Mobile Applications in Real Time (2018-443)
- Bollinger Shipyards-Lockport, LLC
- General Dynamics Electric Boat
- General Dynamics Bath Iron Works
- Sparkhound, Inc.
- D'Angelo Technologies, LLC
- Hepinstall Consulting Group, Inc.
May 2018- April 2019
NSRP ASE INVESTMNET: $768K
Industry Investment: $755K
This project is designed to provide “near” real-time visibility of shipbuilding deckplate activities, and significantly improve the first-time quality of shipyard production performance. The general objectives of this project area as follows:
- Provide easy “point and tap” and location-aware access of key shipbuilding information to shipbuilders
- Capture actions, progress, OQE (Objective Quality Evidence), redlines, and change conditions throughout all shipbuilding workstations without paper. All information will be available immediately upon synchronizing mobile device.
- Enable the production workforce and deckplate management team to focus energy on value-added work.
- Provide high velocity mobile learning application to work force.
- Investigate application of updating progress into shipyard’s planning system, accessing the Ship Bill of Material, and inclusion of Job Safety Analysis and Supervisor Prior to Work Inspection Process (SPIPs).
This project provides a turnkey mobile application solution configured for shipyard point-of-use data collection and high velocity exchange of location-aware quality, schedule, and technical information. The SMART system will use cloud-based IT methodologies and Augmented Reality (AR) to provide shipyards the mobility to perform quality inspections and access relevant shipbuilding and planning information onboard the ship with or without the need for connectivity. “Point and tap” mobile applications will enable inspection and test process, issue reporting, progressing, and documenting change conditions during the shipbuilding process.
The scope of this project includes development of the shipyard mobile applications and AR location aware capabilities, testing of the applications, and conducting a shipyard pilot and user evaluation of these applications. The pilot implementation will largely involve shipyard production, planning, and quality personnel.
KEY DELIVERABLES / BENEFITS
- Demonstrate SMART Mobile Shipyard Application
- Develop Commercialization Strategy for the SMART System
- 30% reduction in Test Procedure Productivity – First of Class
- 5% reduction in Test Procedure Productivity – Follow-On Vessels
- Decrease Engineering Changes Cycle Time (Average) from 7 days to 6 days
- Decrease Shipyard Rework from 20% to 5%
POINT OF CONTACT: Chris Phillips | Bollinger Shipyards-Lockport, LLC | firstname.lastname@example.org