Knowledge Provisioning to Improve First Time Quality of Ship Design (2018-439)
- Conrad Shipyard
- Bollinger Shipyards Lockport
- Fincantieri Marinette Marine
- GD-Bath Iron Works
- SSI-ShipConstructor Software USA, Inc.
- Auros Knowledge System
- Vicky Dlugokecki
- Hepinstall Consulting Inc.
May 2018 – May 2019
NSRP ASE INVESTMENT: $1.20M
INDUSTRY INVESTMENT: $1.27M
Develop a U.S. Shipyard capability to automate the provisioning of information at each step of the ship design process as the engineer progresses through the flow of work. The implemented shipyard model will ensure relevant knowledge and information is readily available in a “digestible” format at the exact time the engineer needs the information to make design decisions and perform engineering activities. This new shipyard capability will be developed, implemented, evaluated, and reported to the industry through this project. The project will also provide a “starter kit” of relevant ship design knowledge packets ready for use on all future U.S. Shipyard implementations.
This project will automate the provisioning of information at each step of the ship design process as the engineer progresses through the flow of work. It will ensure relevant knowledge and information is readily available in a “digestible” format at the exact time the engineer needs the information to make design decisions and perform engineering activities. This project will implement an active knowledge management and delivery system, proven in other industries, to provision technical knowledge within the engineering design processes automatically. For this project, a software “Connector” will provide a bi-direction technical knowledge transfer between the participating shipyards’ CAD systems and the Auros Knowledge System (Auros) for provisioning of the technical knowledge to the CAD designer. This project will include the development of a ShipConstructor-Auros Connector. Connectors for NX, Catia, Creo, and Solid Works already exist and are available for implementation by shipyards that use these CAD systems.
The scope of this project will include technical memory used in the ship design process, from concept design to ship delivery. Shipyard specific knowledge provisioning models, as well as industry/collaborative knowledge provisioning models will be developed, used, and evaluated in the ship design process. The knowledge delivery system will use the AUROS Knowledge System and each shipyard’s 3D CAD System of choice.
KEY DELIVERABLES / Benefits
- Significantly reduce the “non-value added” time the engineer spends researching, waiting, retrieving, and vetting usable information.
- Improve the first-time quality and accuracy of the engineering products.
- Simplify the design review process through embedded assessment to verify the technical memory is being used.
- Provide robust knowledge exchange between shipyard and supporting design agents.
- Reinforce the use of standard engineering processes and shipyard producibility standards.
- Measure usage and compliance to improve the implementation of the system.
POINT OF CONTACT: Shaun Hunter | Conrad Shipyard, LLC | SDHunter@conradindustries.com