Knowledge Provisioning to Improve First Time Quality of Ship Design (2018-439)
- Conrad Shipyard
- GD NASSCO
- Fincantieri Marinette Marine
- GD-Bath Iron Works
- SSI-ShipConstructor Software USA, Inc.
- Auros Knowledge System
- Vicky Dlugokecki
- Hepinstall Consulting Inc.
- American Bureau of Shipping
May 2018 – May 2019
NSRP ASE INVESTMENT: $1.20M
INDUSTRY INVESTMENT: $1.27M
Develop a U.S. shipyard capability to automate the provisioning of information at each step of the ship design process as the engineer progresses through the flow of work.
The project automated the provisioning of information at each step of the ship design process as the engineer progresses through the flow of work. The implemented shipyard models ensured relevant knowledge was readily available in a “digestible” format (knowledge packets) at the exact time the engineer needs the information to make design decisions and perform engineering activities. The scope of this project was bounded by technical memory used in the ship design process, from bid development to functional/detail design to ship delivery. Shipyard-specific knowledge provisioning models, as well as industry/collaborative knowledge provisioning models, were developed, used, and evaluated in the ship design process. The knowledge delivery system used the AUROS Knowledge System and three of the four shipyards’ 3D CAD Systems.
KEY DELIVERABLES / Benefits
- Significantly reduce the “non-value added” time the engineer spends researching, waiting, retrieving, and vetting usable information.
- Improve the first-time quality and accuracy of the engineering products.
- Simplify the design review process through embedded assessment to verify the technical memory is being used.
- Provide robust knowledge exchange between shipyard and supporting design agents.
- Reinforce the use of standard engineering processes and shipyard producibility standards.
Measure usage and compliance to improve the implementation of the system.
POINT OF CONTACT: Shaun Hunter | Conrad Shipyard, LLC | SDHunter@conradindustries.com
Request Final Report from NSRP– Distribution Available to U.S. Shipbuilding and Ship Repair Industry