Survey of Surface Preparation and Coatings Automation (2019-476-001)
- Elzly Technology
- BAE Systems - JSR
- Blakey Group
NSRP ASE INVESTMENT: $150K
The goal of this project was to look at existing automation technologies from two perspectives – those that have been adopted and/or demonstrated for shipyard applications (all trades) and those that have been adopted and/or demonstrated for coating applications in other industries. A gap analysis was performed based on the information collected to determine what differences exist between shipyard and general industry approaches to robotics and automation for coating processes. Based on this gap analysis, a path forward for the U.S. shipbuilding industry was developed.
To develop a path forward for NSRP shipyards to improve automation of surface preparation and coating processes, this project completed the following sub-objectives:
- Establish the current state of surface preparation and coatings automation in shipyards
- Identify the current state of the are in two areas:
- Surface preparation and painting automation in other industries
- Use of robotics and automation in shipbuilding (all trades)
- Perform a gap analysis to identify paths forward for automating surface preparation and coating activities in shipbuilding
- Identify promising technologies for shipyard demonstration on production scale and lay out a path forward
Request Final Report from NSRP – Distribution authorized to the U.S. shipbuilding and repair industry and NSRP ASE Program representatives.