Hepburn and Sons, LLC | LSP Technologies | Vigor Shipyards | NSWC-Carderock
December 2019 – June 2022
INDUSTRY INVESTMENT: $1.956M | NSRP ASE INVESTMENT: $1.777M
The project’s primary goal is to install a laser peening system onboard an LCS platform, treat its aluminum deck, and have NSWC Carderock certify the technology for shipyard use.
Laser peening imparts a deep compressive residual stress in all metals but has especially been shown to be beneficial in aluminum applications from forming complex shapes or straightening and mitigating a myriad of issues caused by lengthy deployments in hot marine environments. The following five goals will be achieved in this project.
- Build a laser peening system specifically for integrating at a shipyard
- Design and deliver the Beam Deck Delivery System for safe laser peening onboard ship
- Peen test samples for completion of the NSWC Carderock laser peening certification tests
- Integrate utilities to laser peening system onboard ship
- Laser peen LCS aluminum deck that is being repaired/replaced while avoiding rework
The project successfully demonstrated laser peening on board ship. Following lab testing by NSWCCD, which demonstrated that Laser Peening would not harm the ship, the project team obtained authorization from the NAVSEA Technical Warrant Holder to perform limited laser peening on the flight deck of a Ticonderoga Class CG on a trial basis. The Procudo® 60 laser peening and positioning system were transported to Vigor’s Seattle shipyard and installed on the flight deck of USS Cape St. George (CG 61). The project team and interested parties witnessed the successful peening of a section of the flight deck.
POINT OF CONTACT: Eric Hepburn | Hepburn and Sons, LLC | email@example.com