On-Board Ship 3-D Environment (2018-455-018)
HII-Newport News Shipbuilding, General Dynamics Electric Boat, Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software (SPLMS), HII-Technical Services (TS), Norfolk Navy Shipyard, NAVSEA 04, NAVSEA 06, SPAWAR
Nov 2019 – Oct 2021
INDUSTRY INVESTMENT: $2M | NSRP ASE INVESTMENT $1.9M
The objective of this project is to provide the Navy a viable, and operationally capable Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) solution for an “On-Board Ship 3-D Environment” based on a direct copy from the Hull Planning Yard (HPY) digital product model. The will provide the Ship’s force access to the most current ship configuration data. Capabilities provided by this project will significantly reduce the Navy’s ship lifecycle Total-Ownership-Costs (TOC).
The team will utilize and integrate digital data from the established Ford Class Digital Data Environment (FCDE) along with the Navy’s Advanced Technical Information System (ATIS), Technical Data Management Information System (TDMIS), and other critical databases to provide needed ship sustainment information in an environment where 2D drawings will not exist.
KEY DELIVERABLES / BENEFITS
The primary deliverable for the “ON-BOARD Ship 3-D Environment” project will be a working, self-sustainable cost effective digital data environment which meets all identified use-case requirements for accessing data and information to support HPY Ship-Board Maintenance & Modernization activities. This environment is to provide the capability for Shipboard personnel to visually display and analyze the 3D FCDE digital product model and Navy database information to accurately communicate in-service maintenance & repair information.
This project will generate the following benefits:
- Ship’s force access to the most current 3D product model ship configuration
- Cost reduction in the synchronization, integration, and configuration management of logistics data
- Reduced data duplication (well defined source data) and wasted time accessing and assessing information
- Shortened cycle time to prepare Logistics information (Data one-click away)
- Risk mitigation for moving from a 2D drawing centric to a 3D product model environment Agile development strategy offers end-user feedback and application validation prior to On-Board ship implementation and ship-shore collaboration
- Integrated COTS applications which are forward compatible and support the introduction and implementation of new technology advancements
- Integrated Information management capabilities which can be extended to multiple Navy ship platforms
POINT OF CONTACT: Mark Debbink | Newport News Shipbuilding | Mark.Debbink@hii-nns.com