- ShipConstructor Software USA, Inc.
- Austal USA
- Bollinger Shipyards Lockport, LLC
- Conrad Shipyard, LLC
- VT Halter Marine
- Ship Architects, Inc.
- Altair Engineering, ATA Engineering
May 2018- April 2019
NSRP ASE INVESTMENT: $1.1M
INDUSTRY INVESTMENT: $1.7M
- OBJECTIVE:This project intended to leverage the knowledge of existing FEA workflows at the shipyards as the basis for an approach to automating large-scale lift preparation and analysis, and to provide mechanisms for generating appropriate “Lift Package” production drawing deliverables. The technology areas to be investigated in the scope of this project included:
- Provide a means to generate “Lift Package” output drawings from ShipConstructor to describe the lifting configuration and required components (including a Bill of Material).
- Export the model identified in the lifting arrangement including structure, weights, and centers of associated objects.
- Export lift configuration and components so they can be automatically meshed for FEA, including lift objects and force vectors.
- Identify deformation limits to flag the appropriateness of the lift based on material properties and shipyard requirements.
- Perform FE Analysis on the meshed model and provide feedback as a range of acceptability for shipyard engineers to determine feasibility of the lift.
- Produced simplified output to describe the lift configuration appropriateness and the anticipated effect on lift subject (e.g., deformations).By generating lift analysis meshes as part of the “Lift Package” model creation, a significant amount of work was reduced (in communicating lift arrangements and components). As refinements are made to the lifting arrangements and then analyzed, the time required to communicate this to production personnel was saved. The project intends to realize a significant cost reduction for man-hours associated with FE mesh generation, analysis, and the creation of lifting arrangement drawings.
- KEY DELIVERABLES / BENEFITS
- Achieve a Technology Readiness Level of 8
- Demonstrate technology in a shipyard production environment
- Reduce hours/costs associated with:
- Lift arrangement drawings generation
- FEA mesh generation
- FEA solving and analysis
- FEA reporting and decision
- Distortion correction
- Temporary Structure Reduction
- Managing Rigging Assets
- Lifting Lug Re-use (Design – Production)
POINT OF CONTACT: Erik Bjorkner | ShipConstructor Software USA, Inc. |
Request Final Report from NSRP – Approved for Public Release