HiDep Process for Fabrication of Low-Weight T-Stiffeners with Near-Zero Weld Distortion for Shipbuilding (2017-426)
- Bollinger Shipyards, LLC
- Energyn Tech, Inc.
- Gatekey Engineering, Inc
- Miller Electric
- Vigor Shipyards, Inc.
- Bath Iron Works
- Horbart Brothers Company
- Hepinstall Consulting Group, Inc.
August 2017 – August 2018
NSRP ASE INVESTMENT :$1.52M
INDUSTRY INVESTMENT: $1.59M
This project advances the use of HiDep technologies in the U.S. Shipbuilding and Ship Repair industry. Hybrid Induction Arc Welding (HIAW) or High Deposition Welding (HiDep) is an innovative new welding process for high-speed, low-distortion welding using a portable induction coil that heats the work forward of the arc, resulting in a significant increase in weld speed and less distortion due to the uniform application of heat.
The project developed a HiDep system to produce low-distortion fabricated T-Stiffeners and weld T-Stiffeners to plate designed for shipyard application, and serves as a follow-on project of the successful NSRP HiDep Butt Welding Project. The project delivered proven technology, newly developed processes, weld procedures, and instructional materials available to U.S Shipyards.
This project specifically accomplished the following achievements:
- Completed a detailed implementation guide for U.S. shipyards.
- Installed, operated, and tested the HiDep T-Stiffener Fabrication System at EnergynTech.
- Fabricated and assembled HiDep Equipment Mounting Systems for a gantry and fixturing system for T-Stiffener fabrication.
- Installed, operated, and tested the HiDep system equipment at EnergynTech to meet the specific use case of BIW.
- Developed welding procedures to meet the requirements of AWS D1.1 (Structural Welding) and the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS).
- Performed testing by a certified laboratory. Summary results indicated that the weld passed all AWS D1.1 requirements.
- Prepared and delivered a Shipyard Implementation Guide to provide a comprehensive plan of actions to enable widespread shipyard implementation of HiDep technologies.
- Provided a comprehensive instructional guide for maintenance and operator personnel.
- Hosted a Final Workshop (on-site and Webinar) to demonstrate project accomplishments and new technology developed through this project.
Estimated ROI and Benefits of HiDep Welding:
- 30% reduction in weld straightening
- 20+% reduction in stiffener weight
- 25% reduction in scrap generation for T-Stiffeners
- Increase in weld speed and productivity will reduce lead and cycle time
POINT OF CONTACT:
Brent Tompkins | Bollinger Shipyards, LLC | firstname.lastname@example.org
Request Final Report form NSRP– Limited Distribution Authorized to Project Participants, and NSRP Program Representatives